adjust to a new workplace
The following modules are offered as stand-alone sessions or combined as a part of a larger program. Add modules of your choice to a current leadership program or customize to create a new program. Each module can be run for groups of 12 to 50 and take place in person over the course of 2 to 4 hours. Modules can also be levereged as keynote presentations.
Module: Defining Role of Manager in Today's Workplace
- Identify what is needed to create the "right" environment for success in today's changing workplace.
- Understand the competencies needed to "lead self" versus "lead others."
- Review data to support generational differences and similarities driving the need for managers to improve career coaching skills.
- Learn an overall process and specific steps needed to effectively manage others throughout the year.
- Review results of a personal Strengthscope™assessment to identify natural strengths and strengths in overdrive (will be completed before class.)
- Understand the psychology of leading through "strengths" vs. "weaknesses" to achieve peak performance from employees of all levels.
Module: Leading Teams
- Learn Tuckman's model of team development.
- Conduct a team gap assessment to understand where your team may have gaps and may be at risk of low perfomance.
- See the benefits to managers, the team and the overall organization of leveraging different team member strengths to foster greater innovation and engagement.
- Learn how to prioritize and assign work based on different individual team strengths.
Module: Evaluating & Delivering Performance Feedback
- Understand the benefits of focusing on regular performance planning and communication instead of the dreaded annual review.
- Learn to diagnose performance issues and differentiate individual “skill” vs. “will” root causes.
- Communicate performance improvement feedback.
- Identify the most common manager pitfalls in delivering feedback that shuts down employees without realizing it.
- Learn the steps to conduct formal and informal performance feedback meetings.
- Practice handling different employee reactions to performance feedback.
Module: Rewarding & Recognizing the "Right Behaviors"
- Explore what makes employees feel valued and recognized.
- Understand the concept “you get what you reward."
- How to challenge each employee—including poor performers and high achievers.
- Understand how and when to utilize “non-monetary” reward and recognition.
- Add simple non-monetary reward strategies to your leadership “toolbox” to quickly draw upon in different performance situations.
Module: Translating Organizational Goals into Team and Individual Goals
- Learn the purposes and differences between organization, team and individual goals.
- Create SIM goals that align employees to the larger mission of the organization.
- Develop standards of performance that will determine if the employee has succeeded.
- Understand the role employees have in identifying and writing goals.
- Effectively communicate and cascade organizational goals to the team and each individual.
Module: Conducting Career Conversations
- Learn how the traditional career ladder is becoming extinct and being replaced by the concept of “career jungle gyms”.
- Tailor career conversations to inspire each person to their fullest potential.
- Identify challenging tasks and assignments that connect individual career goals with
- Practice a simple formula for “career development” discussions.
- Construct compelling development plans that help employees accelerate career achievements and see the bigger picture.